Alexa is a online utility which provides information on traffic levels for websites. The Alexa rank is measured according to the amount of users who’ve visited a website with their toolbar install. Tho Alexa and its ranking system is controversial it does provide signals about your website and if your on the right track.
Today I’m going to touch base on the Alexa Rank measuring system and a few ways to boost it. Alexa is used by various services to sell advertisements, and provide a guide to guest bloggers.
What is the Alexa Rank?
The Alexa rank system which looks at the level of traffic each websites receives from the number of people whom visited the site with the Alexa Toolbar installed, or a third-party toolbar that provides data .
Alexa defines itself as:
“We [Alexa] focus exclusively on delivering the richest and most meaningful analytics tools for our customers. Our obsession is to empower customers through compelling and actionable insights that drive measurable results for their business. At Alexa, we believe strongly in substance over style, which means you can count on getting the exact insights you need without having to navigate through extraneous content to get the information you need right now.
Alexa’s traffic estimates are based on data from our global traffic panel, which is a sample of millions of Internet users using one of over 25,000 different browser extensions. In addition, we gather much of our traffic data from direct sources in the form of sites that have chosen to install the Alexa script on their site and certify their metrics. However, site owners can always choose to keep their certified metrics private.” – alexa.com
Why would you want to increase your Alexa rank?
A various amount of ad networks and webmasters use the Alexa Ranks as a metre to determine the quality of your website. For example if you depend on linking or site selling as a form of monetisation, you’ll more than likely want to increase your Alexa Rank. Because it’ll increase your benefits when it comes to pricing.
Problems with the Alexa Rank
Alexa ranking is primarily aimed towards large website webmaster and technology audiences. This is because webmasters are much more likely to have the Alexa Toolbars installed than websites whose visitors are unaware of it. Many people have indicated that Alexa over the years is vastly inaccurate as a method of measuring any websites reach and potential. This is a point I personally agree with.
I personally understand the negitives of Alexa’s ranking system, however in this post I won’t go into depth. I’m personally not concerned with the service at whole but the value and importance in the eyes of potential advertisers.
How do I get started with Alexa?
Its incredibly simple to start using Alexa. You can download the Alexa toolbar on both Chrome and Firefox addon directories. Additionally you can visit alexa with your own url in the following format:
Can one actually game or manipulate the Alexa Ranking?
Their are various methods which allow you to bring an alexa ranking in the millions down to a more impressive level. Getting your website towards the 10,000 to 1,000 rank is incredibly difficult due to the amount of competition among those websites.
Way’s to increase your Alexa Rank
This is a collection of methods I have used in the past and in the present to boost Alexa Ranks. These tips have been derived from my own positive results through experimentation.
Tho Alexa is not a big necessity is important to ensure you develop high quality content for both SEO and your readers. Building quality content that attracts and maintains a large audience will develop more conversions than artificially increasing your Alexa Rank.
- Link building helps increase your rank majorly. Focusing on relevant content and sites within the top 100,000 Alexa sites are the best way to go.
- Install the Alexa Toolbar for your browser (Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome).
- Encourage others to use the Alexa toolbar. This could be by writing a blog post about the benefits or referring your friends to install it themselves.
- Get your friends and readers to review your Alexa website profile. It doesn’t have a major impact but it does assist to a degree.
- Flaunt your URL in the signature of forums you use, even your email.
- Write content that can be utilised by webmasters. This can fall within the domain of SEO where most webmasters have installed the toolbar and regularly do research.
- Create a webmaster tools section on your website. This is a way to catch webmasters who will revisit your website again to access the tools.
- Submit your posts to Stumbleupon, Pinterest and Facebook. Social media is your friend.
- Use PPC campaign’s. Buying advertisements on search engines with relevant ads and content aimed towards webmasters will assist in a great deal.
- Make an Alexa Category on your blog. Use it to include articles or news about Alexa. Creating easily accessible resources for webmasters or a casual search visitor will help your rank on Alexa and search engines.
There you have it… A few tips too boost your Alexa Rank and increase your site’s monetisation potential.
What do you think about Alexa and how will you use it? Let me know in the comments below alternatively let me know on Facebook or Twitter.