Online content is usually created to express your emotions, share information and express opinions with others. Content is developed as a means to generate a direct/indirect income for many entrepreneurs and web based publishers.
One shouldn’t just view content as a means to receive immediate benefits like traffic and revenue. Content is not just a fodder for page views but a tool to enhance more factors like reputation, reader trust, and networking relationships.
What is: Authority or Expertise for Web Publishers
An authority in terms of online presence is someone (or a brand) who has developed specialist knowledge and because of sharing this knowledge, has developed a reputation as an expert within their relevant field.
Bloggers or web magazines are in the information industry and their primary business model deals with the packaging and distribution of content and ideas.
Knowledge only becomes an asset when it is shared.
By making knowledge freely available, experts allow their reputation to grow. The value of circulating and absorbing information to an audience who wants to develop a proficiency or require an understanding of specific topics.
While we primarily deal with the circulation of ideas including the flow and sharing, experts or authorities as an individual are somewhat similar to academics. They both have an extensive knowledge in the field they specialise, they share their opinions, and continue to gain more knowledge through their research.
What are the characteristics of an Authority:
- Well Informed. Having the knowledge on current developments within any niche cannot be articulated enough as one of the most important characteristics of an expert or authority. Being up to date with the latest events within the niche allows them to comment on a range of issues when questions are asked by their readership or clients. Experts that break news before the industry is aware due to the development of their networks.
- Filtering Information For Readers. Filtering and aggregating junk and providing content that has essence around the web, brings together relatable discussion by the macro environment of the experts niche. This enables an overview of scenarios which require ideas or solutions in order to move forward.
- Enhanced Research Skills. Analysing current events or developing case studies to provide information that is useful, truely unique and not found anywhere else.
- Making Knowledge Accessible. Knowing how to package information and make it understandable for a non-specialist audience. This involves breaking down technical language for the end user by translating it into something they can immediately act upon, or further contribute to your own content.
- Expanding the Conceptual Field. Changing the way others think by challenging traditional concepts and practices that are widely accepted. Experts will bring in ideas and principles from other disciplines, and expanding terminology and vast theory. Changing the way others think about key issues.
Content Development Strategies to Establish Authority
To achieve a perceived status of an expert, a concrete strategy that focuses on a persistent publication of content should be implemented: Write about the same topics in a continuous increasing depth.
Here is a few tactics that will easily position yourself as an authority within the specific field.
- Optimise Your Site Copy. You want to include social proof elements like recommendations from experts, awards, your certifications, and customer testimonials. Optimising your about page to emphasise your knowledge and experience within the specific field. If you are offering a paid service, ensure that your sales page include at least one testimonial from satisfied clients and customers. You may want to include a link to your Linkedin profile to demonstrate connections within the industry.
- Communicate and invite queries. By helping people solve their individual problems, the more you win people who become to believe in your ability. Open up various channels of communication and invite people to email or contact you with questions. Create a feedback page or even put in a comment box on your sidebar for questions.
- Guest Blog. It is incredibly useful to publish articles on other related websites or blogs as it reinforces your visibilities in the niche. Branding yourself is even more critical; The traffic you can get isn’t as important. Keep in mind to include keywords in your byline to associate yourself with the specific topic as much as possible. If the guest blog allows you to insert a link in your bio, you may want to consider implementing a call to action.
- Create A Series Of Content. Developing a series is an excellent way to provide a your website a focus and is useful if you feel your blog is too inconsistent.
- Develop an eBook/Book. Developing and publishing a book on a topic immediately establishes you as someone genuinely interested within a field: Most amateurs do not invest the time on single publications. An ebook is also a way to market your personal brand and provide an illustration of your knowledge. This also allows people to share your knowledge by further distributing your ebook.
- Join the Conversation. Monitoring conversations around your topic and providing advice on forums or online communities allow you further grow your brand. Using sites like Quora and monitoring questions will also allow you to find further inspiration on what to write on, while also allowing you to build backlinks.
- Develop Breadth and Depth. Developing the habit of building your own content by writing articles which reference and expand on certain points. Aim to develop content that all your audience profiles will understand as they will have different knowledge and informative needs.
You’ll truely come across as an expert when you are really passionate or immersed within a field. When combing the above five characteristics of an authority mentioned above, while combining them with the development strategies this will amplify your display of knowledge.
The development of authority may include various other factor, but I have limited my focus towards content.
If you have a different view on what an authority is leave a comment below or send me a tweet @ShaquilleRay.